Do you offer an M.A. in Musicology at UCLA?

We do not offer a terminal M.A. in Musicology. Students will earn their M.A. while completing the requirements for a Ph.D., and will be awarded the degree if they have not earned the degree at another institution. All graduate students entering the Department of Musicology at UCLA are expected to complete the Ph.D.

Do I need experience in performance to be a better candidate for admission?

No. The Ph.D. in Musicology does not require performance as part of the degree requirements. A strong background in the Humanities and an ability to read music are expected, although many of our students are, indeed, also performers.

I hear that it is extremely hard to get teaching jobs in a field like Musicology, how successful are the graduates of the Ph.D. in Musicology at UCLA?

While this is generally true, the UCLA Department of Musicology has had increasingly good success in placing its graduates. Preliminary data from the Musicology Job Wiki indicates that UCLA continued among the field's most successful programs, placing four students in 2009 (#1 in the country), and six in 2008 (#2 in the country, behind Chicago).

What kind of financial support does the department provide its graduate students?

The Department of Musicology provides individualized financial support packages for students upon admission to the program. 

What opportunities are there to win awards in the department and at UCLA more generally, as well as beyond UCLA?

The Department of Musicology offers departmental awards as well as the Ciro Zoppo Research Fellowship. Our students have also won many campus-wide awards (many more than the size of our department would seem to warrant!), including the campus-wide Distinguished Teaching Award, the Charles E. and Sue K. Young Awards for outstanding graduate students, and the Collegium of University Teaching Fellows, among others.

Our students have also been extremely active in giving reading papers at scholarly conferences around the country and in Europe, for which the department provides travel support; some of these have resulted in awards, as well: our students have won the coveted Mark Tucker Award from the Society for American Music, and the statewide Ingolf Dahl Award (for best graduate student paper). Additionally, our graduates have won the Housewright Dissertation Award from the Society for American Music.

Where may I get more materials regarding the graduate program in Musicology at UCLA?

All of our materials are available online. Please refer to our page on the admissions process for detailed information. Here are some other helpful links:

Musicology Graduate Program Overview

Graduate Division - Musicology Admissions and Program Requirements

UCLA General Catalog - Musicology

Musicology Course Listings

How do I submit my materials for the graduate program in Musicology at UCLA?

All materials (except for official transcripts) should be uploaded to the UCLA online graduate application. This includes the statement of purpose, supplemental materials, writing samples, AND letters of recommendation. An applicant can upload unofficial transcripts to the online application, but MUST send 1 copy of official transcripts to the department address:

UCLA Dept of Musicology
2443 Schoenberg Music Building
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1623

Also, please note that applicants submitting a GRE should send an official copy of the score report to the department AND internatioanl students taking the TOEFL should send an official score report to the department.