General Schedule and Procedures for Graduate Exams
| Print |
Comprehensive (Three-Area or MA) Exam When: Spring Quarter of 2nd year (1st year for students entering the program with a Masters) Process:
- In late Winter or early Spring Quarter, contact three members of Musicology faculty to serve as exam committee.
- Plan exam areas with faculty committee to cover the three methodologies required: theortical, analytical, and historical. The exam area should link to a seminar taken at UCLA, including 200ABC. Exceptions are possible.
- Receive questions from exam committee (through Student Affairs Officer) and write exams over Memorial Day weekend
- The Student Affairs Officer will schedule the oral exams on written answers to be done by the end of your second year with the exam committee who gave the questions.
Special Field Exam When: Winter or Spring Quarter of 3rd year Process:
- Contact three members of Musicology faculty to serve on committee while developing a specialization
- At the least three months before exam, compile a reading and repertoire list related to the area of specialization (bibliography and relevant music limited to 50 items) and give to faculty on your Special Fields committee.
- Schedule written examinations with committee. Receive questions from exam committee and write for one week
- Turn in written answers and schedule Special Field oral exam. Written answers and dissertation research plans are discussed at this exam
Dissertation Proposal When: Fall Quarter of 4th Year Process:
- Ph.D language exam must be completed before the proposal can be defended
- Declare dissertation committee of three Musicology faculty members plus one scholar from outside the department. Forming of the dissertation should be done as soon as possible after the Special Field exam process and at least one month prior to the proposal defense. A Declaration of Committee form is available from the department office, 2443 Schoenberg.
If the examining committee needs to be changed before the final defense of the dissertation, a “Change of Committee” form is required, and is available in 2443 Schoenberg Music Building . Please turn it into the department office, 2443 Schoenberg, at least a month before you plan to defend/file your thesis.